Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Negro Club


When I was in fifth grade, I was a hardcore gangster.  Me and some of my ordinary friends were influenced by a movie called “Scary Movie 3” after it had just come out, and we were influenced by one line in particular where a white guy says “you just hate me ‘cause I’m black”. When kids are exposed to something they’re not used to such as racism, they often have to repeat it over and over again if they find it funny. And after that they take it farther than it ever should’ve gone, which is what my friends and I did. We took it past the level of inappropriate. We called it the “Negro Club”, which is bound to get us into trouble at some point. But we were too young and naïve to know. We kept the club going for a while, and initiated people into it by telling them to do things such as “go tell that girl you like her” and other ideas that would traumatize a 5th grader. It got intense. After some time in the gang though, I rose up ranks. I was one of the leaders, and my gang name was “Hawk”. There was one kid who wanted to get into the club, but we wouldn’t let him because not many people liked him. We shouldn’t have messed with him because he was a tattle-tale, and screwed the entire operation over. He told the principle, so the leaders got suspended after a long talk and eventually suspension. You may know one of the other gangsters; he goes by the name of Snake. But his real name is Ben Ervin, the other kid at this school with a raging Jew Fro (when he grows it out). Fortunately, this wasn’t put on our criminal records, but it just as well could have been. Peace out homies.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a 5th grader being in a gang, hard core. I can never imagine the trouble you must have got into as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you guys ever do anything as a 'gang'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. straight up G, did you slang chocolate milk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. and then we got suspended for a week for our hardcore-ness :(

    ReplyDelete